Pawpaw or papaya as been referred to by some, is one of the most common fruit that is popular amongst Nigerians. Botanically known as Carica papaya pawpaw belongs to genus Carica tropical fruits that is widely cultivated in Nigeria and other tropical and sub-tropical countries.
Often known for its sweet delicious taste and fibrous edible flesh, this wonderful and highly nutritious fruits is consumed by both young and old mostly due to its abundance, sweetness and refreshing taste. But behind that sweet taste are plenty wonderful nutrients that can be more beneficial to the body.
Low in calories papaya comes with essential health benefits ranging from source of dietary fiber, high in major vitamins A, B, C, riboflavin, niacine, carotenoids, thiamine, phytochemicals also contains minerals such as calcium, iron, copper and magnesium.
Pawpaw comes in different sizes and shapes and is available in most Nigerian market, it is called ibèpè by the southwest part of the country Yoruba precisely remember to go for the organic ones when you are buying (highly recommended).
The Wonderful Benefits of Pawpaw Fruit
1. Aid Digestion: Pawpaw contains some important compounds such as chrymopapin, Papin, that are rarely found in other fruit this compounds behave like enzymes and help digest proteins thereby converting them to amino acids.
2. Lower Cholesterol Levels: excess cholesterol in the body can result to blockage of the arteries which in turn could possibly leads to heart attacks but eating Pawpaw as it contains a lot of dietary fiber, antioxidants and vitamin C which have prove to help in reducing the level of cholesterol in the human body and prevent any build up of it.
3. Reduce Inflammation: Pawpaw contains some anti-inflammatory properties such as choline through reduces pains caused by inflammation such as rheumatoid arthritis.
4. Prevent Diseases: Papaya contains antioxidants which fights off disease causing organism, virus and bacteria that are responsible for the development of life threatening disease which many are ignorant of such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and is becoming rampant in our society today.
5. Leaves Serve as Anti Malaria: The edible young leaves of Pawpaw is used traditionally as anti malaria as well as the seeds which also serve as anti parasite.
Finally it boost the system as it plays a vital role in preventing diseases and Shield the body against several infections.