The African star apple is a dark yellowish fruit with semi-circle seeds, a popular seasonal fruit normally consumed with it flesh in the West Africa region.
Botanically called Chrysophyllum albidum, the fruit is mostly cultivated in the rural areas and is very common during the months of December to April.
the fruit is mostly found in african countries like Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ Ivorie, Uganda and Niger Republic.
However here in Nigeria the white star apple is popularly referred to as Agbalumo and Udara by the Yoruba's and Igbo respectively.
This wonderful fruit is picked by africans on their way to the farm, during the era of our forefathers. But nowadays you get it from the marketplace as it has become a source of income to the people mostly living in the rural areas.
During white star apple season you will see both adult and children savouring the great taste of this indigenous fruit.
But have you ever care to know the health benefit of the African star apple. anyway incase you don't know, the fruit is highly nutritional and can help alot in many ways
1. The bark of the tree according to researcher was used traditionally to treat yellow fever and malaria, while the leaf treated wounds, stomachache, and diarrhea
2. The agbalumo/udara is a natural remedies for toothache, constipation, sore throat, and much more. Also in some parts of Nigeria the seeds are used to treat vaginal and skin infections
3. White star apple had been suggested to contain more vitamin C than orange and guava, the friut is also rich in calcium, iron potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, tannins, flavonoids, terpenoids, and phytochemicals.
4. When the udara/agbalumo is consumed for its flesh, it can help lower blood sugar and cholesterol prevent and treat heart diseases.
5. The fruit is known to have anti-oxidant properties that help fight cancer and treatment of diabetes.